Holi Festival of colour

Holi Festival of colour

Thursday 27 January 2011

Its all about me...actually its not

Before I set off to Nepal I had two motivations for volunteering for VSO 1) To make a positive difference to the lives of people in a less developed country 2) To challenge myself. When I was preparing to leave, I met many volunteers who shared the same motivations. During our training weekends the emphasis was very much on techniques to facilitate this change.
However somehow since I had arrived and was sent to my placement area the reality of the situation rapidly went from its all about them, to all about me and what do I need to do to feel comfortable. At one point I was thinking I am here to live in Nepal and experience the culture first and foremost and make a difference second. I think this was a knee jerk survival reaction to adapting the new surroundings, because that is not why I am here. Having experienced some of the real issues that Nepali people with disabilities face, I think it’s good time to refocus and think ambitiously about the positive differences I can make.
My placement is working for a national organisation that advocates for the rights of people with disabilities, this means lobbying for their rights and making people aware of what their rights and entitlement are. People with disabilities really suffer from discrimination in this country, some people believe that if they see someone with a disability in the morning they will be cursed for the day. They also believe that disabled new born baby brings a curse or means the family is cursed and consequently disabled children may be hidden indoors. So part of the organisations role is challenge this discrimination and raise awareness of the issues that people with disabilities face. Unlike the UK transport and public buildings are not built with disabled access. Physically disabled people who have access to a tricycle frequently go Indian and smuggle goods back into Nepal to be sold at a very low price to shop keepers just to make a living. Unemployment levels are 48% in Nepal and even higher for people with disabilities. I have even heard of deaf women being trafficked to other countries to work in poor conditions for no money. So there is much work for me to do in supporting the organisation to be more effective in its management and development and even small changes can make a big difference. One project that I really want to help develop is a mobile camp project which targets people with disabilities in rural villages and remote areas to promote disability entitlements to; free education, free health care, disability aids, operations, disability transport discounts and tricycles , ID cards (in which you can get discounts), social security allowance and employment opportunities. This tied in with a drama based initiative which challenges discrimination against people with disabilities.

So I think now I have settled in its time to think of others before myself and get on with the job in hand as there is much to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment