Holi Festival of colour

Holi Festival of colour

Saturday 12 February 2011

Stars in my eyues

As I set off across the field in the dark with my friend Tika, I hoped that I would not step into one of the many types of faeces available as I was wearing my evening best. Tonight I was going to a ‘Cultural Programme’ fundraiser aka a show. We safely reached the dusty road, dress and shoes intact and jumped on a rickshaw and headed to the hotel where the programme was being held. Tonight was the VIP night and I had somehow managed to gain free entry as I was on the NGO committee, I have to confess that I done very little work to deserve this luxury, because of language barriers.
As we took our seats with the other organisers who also got in for free and the VIP’s who didn’t, I listened to the usual waffle getting a general sense of what was being said, the performances began. The singing was excellent, I have to say Nepali music is beautiful. After sitting restlessly thinking about whether they had bar, I decided that I would join the random man in the aisle for a dance to liven things up. What I had failed to forget is that Nepali’s go ape shit when I dance, particularly in a red sequin sari and everyone cheered. Before I knew it I was being dragged on to the stage, literally and forced to dance I could of died, but I didn’t, I managed to hold it together and a random man from the audience joined me. One song later I exited the stage and bagged myself front row comfy seat for a few songs, whilst I tried to steady myself and straighten my sari.

After a few more acts I made a sharp exit and headed for the buffet, with a drink also in mind. In the UK most people would be drunk by now, but here very few people drink at all, particularly the people I know. This is because of the culture, religion and cost. I necked my food as quickly as possible and headed to the bar for a whisky, this is a safe option because; 1) it can be drunk quickly 2) limits the amount of toilet trips 3) usually cheaper than beer or wine 4) its usually double or tipple the size of shots in the UK.

I went back and seated myself with my friends and had no sooner sat than one of the presenters I had met outside ushered me onto the stage to dance...here we go again. This time I was a lot more at ease though. The singer on stage starting singing about me and the whole audience cheered, god knows what he said, but I think it was good. After what felt an eternity I left the stage and this time I went back stage, which was actually just a curtain to the side of the stage and I met all of the heroes. In Nepal anyone famous is called a hero, it was funny because actually I didn’t know any of them so their fame status was lost on me, but it was fun anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment